Lisa Hannett lives in Adelaide, South Australia—city of churches, bizarre murders, and pie floaters. Since 2009, her work has been published in magazines such as Clarkesworld Magazine, Fantasy Magazine, Weird Tales, ChiZine, Electric Velocipede, Shimmer, and anthologies including Tesseracts 14 (edited by Brett Alexander Savory), Sprawl (edited by Alisa Krasnostein; Twelfth Planet Press) and Steampunk Reloaded (edited by Ann & Jeff VanderMeer; Tachyon Publications). Her story 'On the Lot and In the Air' appeared on Locus Magazine's "Recommended Reading List" for 2009. She is a graduate of the Clarion South Writers Workshop.
Her first collection, Bluegrass Symphony, will be published in August 2011 (Ticonderoga Publications). It deals with cowboys and fallow fields, shapeshifters and rednecks, superstitions and realities in harsh prairie country — and a whole bunch of other things thrown in the mix.
Midnight and Moonshine, a collection co-authored with Angela Slatter, will be published in November 2012.
When she’s not writing fiction, Lisa teaches in the English Department at Flinders University, where she also hopes to complete her PhD in medieval Icelandic literature before she grows older than her subject matter.
Lisa Hannett is currently eligible for the John W. Campbell Award for best new science fiction or fantasy writer whose first work of science fiction or fantasy was published in a professional publication in the previous two years.
Lisa Hannett's Campbell-qualifying work:
"On the Lot and In the Air" in Clarkesworld, July 2009.
"The Good Window" in Fantasy, September 2009.
"Sisters Under the Skin" in Weird Tales, Summer 2010.
Bluegrass Symphony (Ticonderoga Publications; collection of original stories) Forthcoming 2011
Midnight and Moonshine, co-authored with Angela Slatter (Ticonderoga Publications, collection of original stories) Forthcoming 2012
Magazines & Journals
- ‘Gutted’, Shimmer, Forthcoming (Feb 2011)
- ‘Unlocking the God’, Electric Velocipede, November 2010
- ‘Sisters Under the Skin’, Weird Tales, ‘Uncanny Issue’ 356, Summer 2010
- ‘Their Own Executioners’, ChiZine, July-September 2010
- ‘Tiny Drops’, Midnight Echo, Issue 4, 2010.
- ‘The Good Window’, Fantasy Magazine, September 2009
- ‘On the Lot and In the Air’, Clarkesworld Magazine, Issue 34, July 2009 (Appeared on Locus Magazine‘s Recommended Reading List for 2009)
- ‘Commonplace Sacrifices’, On Spec, vol. 21, no.4, Winter 2009
- ‘White and Red in the Black’, Dead Red Heart, ed. Russell B. Farr (Ticonderoga Publications) Forthcoming (April 2011)
- ‘Singing Breath into the Dead’, Music for Another World, ed. Mark Harding (Mutation Press), 2010
- ‘Soil From My Fingers’, Tesseracts 14, ed. Brett Alexander Savory & John Robert Colombo (ChiZine Press), 2010
- ‘Weightless’, Sprawl, ed. Alisa Krasnostein (Twelfth Planet Press), 2010
- ‘The Curious Case of Physically-Manifested Bedsheet Mania & Other Tales’, co-written with Angela Slatter, Steampunk Reloaded , ed. Ann & Jeff VanderMeer (Tachyon Press), 2010
- ‘The February Dragon’, co-written with Angela Slatter, Scary Kisses, ed. Liz Grzyb (Ticonderoga Publications), 2010
- ‘The Evangelist’s Tale’, Canterbury 2100, ed. Dirk Flinthart (Agog! Press), 2008
- ‘Feast’, AntipodeanSF, Issue 136, October 2009